LOCATION: 50 N Wells St
The Nauvoo Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was originally built between 1841-1845 but was abandoned as mobs drove the Latter-day Saints out of Illinois in 1846. An arsonist destroyed much of it in 1848, and then a tornado weakened the structure in 1851 to render it unusable. The ruins were torn down in 1867 out of concern for public safety. The Church began purchasing the property in 1937 and rebuilt the temple on the original footprint in 2002. While this temple is not available for public tours, individuals are welcome to stroll the grounds when they are open.