Seventies Hall

Location: Main and White Streets

Fifteen original Seventies quorums in Nauvoo jointly built the Seventies Hall as a place of worship, instruction, and quorum business. In addition, the building provided space for civic activities and private enterprise. By 1846, there were 35 quorums of the Seventy in Nauvoo.

Experience the Seventies Hall from your computer or smart phone in three different ways: with our Virtual Tour,  Image Gallery, or schedule a  Live Video Tour. Click on the links below to see more.
 

Virtual 360° Tour

Take a look inside the Seventies Hall right from your computer or smart phone by checking out our 360° Photos. Click on the links during the tour to continue through the building.

Image Gallery

Peek inside the Seventies Hall as you scroll through our image gallery.

Seventies Hall
The hall was built in 1844, but the Saints used it for less than two years. After it was sold in 1846, it was converted into a Presbyterian church. Other denominations used the building until it was partly demolished and rebuilt as a one-story schoolhouse. That building stood until 1904. Nauvoo Restoration Inc. purchased the lot in 1962 and reconstructed the building in 1973.
Main Floor
The Seventies Hall was reconstructed on the same footprint as in 1844, but information was lacking at the time on how space was used inside. The main meeting room was actually on the upper floor, while this space was more open like in the Cultural Hall. It was used for dances, concerts, and church and civic meetings.
Main Floor
A typical weekday in the Seventies Hall would have children meeting on the main floor for school while city council or priesthood quorum meetings were held upstairs. During the afternoon, the main floor was home to a doctor’s office and two art studios.
Stairway
On January 12, 1845, several men who went up the stairs for a Seventies Quorum meeting came down later with a mission call in hand. Their calls were for short-term service in surrounding counties and states to dispel false rumors about the Church and to encourage Church members to send support for building the temple.
Library
While the Seventies Hall did contain a library, it was more likely simply a free-standing bookshelf near the main meeting room. Donated books carried titles on history, geography, travel, agriculture, education, and government. This current library contains information about Seventies Quorum members who lived in Nauvoo.
Upper Floor Museum
Artifacts on display in this room reflect archaeological work done in Nauvoo in the 1960s and 1970s. This space would have been used for meetings in the original hall.
Meetings
One group that met in the Seventies Hall was the Council of Fifty, a leadership organization focused on planning for where to locate the main body of the Church upon leaving Nauvoo. The men in this group also discussed broad principles of government and liberty and the Church’s role in civil affairs.
previous arrow
next arrow
previous arrownext arrow
Slider